tribe/m

pattern for womens coat with tails.

ten Sun, January 15, 2006 - 8:55 AM by ten

I am looking to make a coat with tails, could probably be a mens pattern too. I want it to be one that is a small fitted jacket part. It is for a burlesque costume.... anybody have any idea where to look for a pattern? I have been looking and haven't even seen any mens coat patterns I could splice tails from onto a girls jacket...

thanks!

Re: pattern for womens coat with tails.

Shutter Sun, January 15, 2006 - 9:39 AM by Shutter

Please keep us posted if you find something! I’m on the hunt for the same. I’ve got a near-full length Asian brocade jacket that I’d love the convert but just can’t get myself to start reconstructing because I’m concerned about ruining it. A pattern (and/or probably just some decent photos) would definitely be most helpful!
smiles,
See

lobocita Sun, January 15, 2006 - 11:09 AM by

like a cabaret outfit? a ringmaster?

Shutter Sun, January 15, 2006 - 11:36 AM by Shutter

<like a cabaret outfit? a ringmaster?>

Exactly!

Katri Sun, January 15, 2006 - 1:05 PM by Katri

My first menswear project was a cutaway with tails. My friend was getting married,and he was bigger than any patterns we could find for a tuxedo jacket anyway, so I drafted my own. I went to a couple of rental shops to see how they were constructed, made sketches, got a jacket pattern so I'd have the front part, enlarged all the pieces to his size, drafted the back panels with tails, made a mock-up of a cheap but similar weight and weave fabric then went for it with the suiting fabric.
If I had a scanner I'd upload a pic but sadly my equipment is teaching me patience at the moment. :(

I think the trickiest part was inventing where the tails overlap.

it was beautiful...black silk twill (that I washed to make it softer) with peacock blue douppioni silk lapels, lined in purple and a matching vest. ssssssssssmokin'!

good luck!

lobocita Sun, January 15, 2006 - 1:07 PM by

walmart is currently selling a tail-less tuxedo jacket online: www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do

Katri Sun, January 15, 2006 - 2:57 PM by Katri

I remember seeing an Uncle Sam costume pattern and as I recall the jacket had tails. I think it was from Simplicity

....found one in adult sizes: Simplicity 5983
Adult Costumes for Favorite Patriotic Heroes
www.simplicity.com
it's cheaper at denverfabrics.com

dragon_tfm Sun, January 15, 2006 - 4:48 PM by dragon_tfm

there are also uncle sam outfit patterns on sale at ebay do a search for uncle sam under costume patterns

dragon_tfm Sun, January 15, 2006 - 4:51 PM by dragon_tfm

oh and i just saw this its not a jacket but just another idea hollywoodcostumesandparty.com/leg....jpg

Princess Sun, January 15, 2006 - 10:32 PM by Princess

Try Vogue, they had a ladies tailcoat in the evening wear section. Also try thrift stores, you never know what treasures you might find there...

Spanker Mon, January 16, 2006 - 11:09 AM by Spanker

There was a tailcoat on a wedding gown in the recent Simplicity catalog of patterns.