Advertisement

Sewing with organza

topic posted Wed, June 21, 2006 - 9:08 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hi, I'm sewing with organza for the first time and I'm looking for some tips. The fabric I'm using is a little softer than the organza usually found in wired ribbons. I've been told to use a fine sharp needle, which makes sense, but beyond that I'm getting conflicting advice:

"Use long stitches to prevent snagging." "Use tiny stitches on fine fabric."

"Use weak cotton thread so it'll break and not ruin your fabric." "Use fishline so it doesn't show through."

I'm using transparent white organza for a floaty overskirt and I'm worried about the seams where the panels go together. Would serged edges or french seams be a better choice?

Thanks crafty vixens!
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Sewing with organza

Wed, June 21, 2006 - 9:24 AM
    french seams are always a favorite, they give a finished look to any piece, but especially those sheer/translucent pieces. because you want a floaty look, use very thin french seams, but keep in mind that the seams could really add to the look/structure of the skirt. perhaps you could experiment with some widths and how that affects the drape of the fabric.

the best thing to do is starch the fabric... just use spray starch and an iron before you cut the pieces. then just continue working with the fabric. don't worry,t he starch will have all brushed out by the time your piece is done, but the starch helps work with the fabric much more easily in assembly

do not use fishline on the fashion fabric, unless you are doing costuming or requring some non-fashion special effect. remember, a join is only as strong as its weakest link.. in general, when sewing, you want to use matching strengths of thread/fabric. if this is silk, then it is strong fabric. go ahead and use a good polyester thread (guterman, etc).

good luck, this sounds like a fun project!

Wed, June 21, 2006 - 10:22 AM
    I would definitely vote for french seam instead of serging on sheer lightwieght fabric. The other method I used with good results recently was to put the seam allowances on the outside (yup, wrong sides together) and finish them with a little rolled hem. The garment I did that on had rolled hems along the bottom, and the seams looked nice rolled, delicate floaty, etc.

and then another way would be to make wide french seams and put an element of trim inside them - like a ribbon, threaded itty bitty silk flowers etc, if you can use the seams well as a design element. I think that works best when there are more than just a couple of seams to work with.

Wed, June 21, 2006 - 1:43 PM
      You might also consider a flat felled seam. That would lay flatter on a floaty skirt and may interfere less with the floatiness. French seams woork, too. Serging isn't as good on sheer fabrics. White thread is fine. The thread used to make the fabric is white, it's just loosely woven. I love the starch idea. The trouble with sheers is cutting a true line because the fabric shifts so much. Good luck!
  • Unsu...

Re: Sewing with organza

Thu, June 22, 2006 - 6:38 AM
    All fabulous advice!
    Listen to lobo.....Always use the best thread .... Gutterman.
    Cutting - if you have the tools - lay the fabric flat, spray with starch, allow to dry, and use a roller cutter. This acts like glue to hold the fabric in place while cutting and gives some tooth to the fabric while sewing. I also do this with silk chiffons.
    I just made an organza bias skirt. French seams, very tiny. When on the bias use a longer stich length and pull on your seam as you sew. PRACTICE this before going into your garment.
    For hems, if you want it to stand out and have some body....machine stitch and folded hem, trim, fold and sew again. You can also add a tiny wire.
    As already mentioned, but important enough to say again, use your seams as a design element.
    Organza is lovely to sew!
    Have fun!
    • Unsu...

Thu, June 22, 2006 - 9:08 AM
      Thanks for all the great tips. Now I feel confident enough to actually start cutting, instead of staring at the fabric in paranoia. =)

Thu, June 22, 2006 - 9:47 AM
        "you can't have your fabric and sew it, too".... good luck with your project!

Fri, June 23, 2006 - 12:47 PM
          you ladies is soooooo smart!

I didn't have a grannie who wanted to teach me, the greedy thing took all her tricks to the grave! recipes, sewing, everything. strange old bird

thanks for stepping in, I always wanted to know what the best thread is.

xo,
          la

Fri, June 23, 2006 - 1:13 PM
            ah, i just remembered something fun to try with french seams/sheer fabric: trim the seam with a pinking shear, turn and encase into the french seam... voila, nice special effect, no extra costs!
  • Ray
    Ray
    offline 0

Tue, July 8, 2014 - 7:16 PM
    Ladies, Thanks so much for the question and all the answers. I had no clue how to sew organza to make sheers for the 16 tall windows in my 1890 house. Organza is very affordable and quite beautiful if properly sewn. The starch recommendation will save me much time and the neighbors hours of hearing my "Army" words.

Recent topics in "Crafty Vixens"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
knitting offlinepaula 0 October 25, 2014
Bisexual Single Dating Unsubscribed 0 October 8, 2014
meet rich and hot sugar mommy online Unsubscribed 0 September 25, 2014
#1 Dating Site For BBW and their admirers! Unsubscribed 0 September 17, 2014