Advertisement

Shrinky-Dinks/how to get flat?

topic posted Sat, February 12, 2005 - 8:49 AM by  AlexMama
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hey you fabulous vixens,

I bet you will know how to get some silly shrinky dinks to go flat!!

I got the shrinking paper that you can put through your printer-- its so cool cause I can print very intreicate things on it and also photos...but the coolest to me are makeing Tara (buddhist goddess) necklaces...

IIIFFFF...I could get them not to curl up in the oven with no hope of flattening.

Advice??
Is this simple and I just don't see it?

Advertisement
  • Re: Shrinky-Dinks/how to get flat?

Sat, February 12, 2005 - 11:18 AM
    are you keeping them in the oven long enough? seems to me they just flatten out when they're all finished and not a moment before...

when are you getting you're shrinking paper? i need more and the actual kits are quite pricy, i end up snagging my kids... ;)

i'm no pro btw... lol

good luck, i bet the taras are very cool!

Sat, February 12, 2005 - 11:34 AM
      thanks anistara!
      ..I think this thinner paper (that can go in printer) is more curly than the regular ones and its much worse...But I will try keeping them in a little longer. I may also try just being patient and doing them with a heat gun - one at a time...

:-)

Sat, February 12, 2005 - 11:39 AM
    yes, you do have to keep a pretty close eye on 'em. you don't want to take them out too early since they tend to curl up a bit before they flatten out.

however, if they curl up and parts begin to overlap, you should pull them out and flatten them out manually. remember, while they are warm, they are still pliable.

hehe. i know, it'd be nice if there were a more exact science to it, right? :D well, the nice thing is that you can always warm them up again to make them pliable.
  • Re: Shrinky-Dinks Scottish style

Sun, February 13, 2005 - 2:13 PM
    Here's a tidbit of info to add to your shrinky dink knowledge base...
    My husband is Scottish (been in the usa for 2 years now). When I got my shrinkys pre Christmas, I asked him if he knew what they were. He said, yeah we use to make them. You mean draw on them, I said. No, he said, make them.
    He said they would take "crisp" packages and put them in the oven and shrink them.
    In Scotty talk, crisps = potato chips.

So for Christmas I made him one his style, hee hee.
    I put a small empty bag of doritos in the oven, and sure enough it shrunk.
    He calls it the poor man shrinky dink.
    hee hee.
    Shrinky dinks unite the world, who knew?

Sat, February 19, 2005 - 2:16 PM
      I had a friend in High School that did that, and she poked a hole through one corner of the finished bag and made it into a keychain... I used to think it was the coolest thing...

do you know time and temp for baking the bags?
    • Shrinking Potato Chip Bags in the Oven

Mon, May 18, 2009 - 7:25 PM
      This is the specific craft that I am trying to do! I saw a collage of miniature junk food like Twisters, Life Savers and Lay's wrappers at someone's house. They get really small. I normal bag of Doritos was about 1-1/2" x 3". The owner told me that they had been baked in the oven to shrink.

I tried with an Oreo outer wrapper and did not have good results. I started at 300 degrees and got excited when it curled, got smaller. . .but then it stopped. I waited and nothing else happened. I turned the heat up to 350 and it started to lay a little flatter, shrunk a little more, then stopped. I turned the heat up again: 400. I was doing this in a toaster oven and got nervous that the plastic was too close to the heating element and I was going to start a fire! When I could really smell the plastic, I took it out. I was surprised that the plastic wasn't hot. I am guessing that it could have taken more heat.

I am thinking that this should really be done in a full-size oven. Please ask your husband for better instructions, or if anyone out there knows how to do this, please let me know! Thank you!
      • Re: Shrinking Potato Chip Bags in the Oven

Sun, May 24, 2009 - 3:13 PM

I would imagine it has to do with the specific type of plastic...
        as we are moving toward a more "greener" way of thinking it may be that the plastic bags that shrank have given way to newer more enviro-friendly types of plastics...

just a guess.

this topic reminds me...

years ago... (thirty)
        I had a friend we were in high school together...
        he worked at Mc Donald's... he was the fry cooker...
        they used to use (still may - I dont know)
        this styrofoamy like container for thier burgers...
        my friend found that when you chucked one of these stryofoam containers in the deep fryer, it would shrink to keychain size.
        very cute.

he did it often.

one wonders what type of glorious polymers and fabulous industrial compounds we ingested with our fries and fliet-o-fish from then on.

oh fast food!
        what secrets you must hold...

Mon, May 25, 2009 - 9:11 AM
      We did a similar thing in my seventh grade science class.

We drew using watercolor markers on recycleable plastic...It might have been 6, but I though it was 2. When blown over with a heatgun, they shrink.
      I had no idea there was actually a PRODUCT for it. Now there's some good marketing!

Tue, February 15, 2005 - 10:38 AM
    I haven't done Shrinky-Dinks since I was a little girl. First time was at my baby sitters house. I remember watching through the lit oven door as these flat sheets take form and thinking "it's magic".

I just got a surge of ideas of what I could do with Shrinky-Dinks! Thank you Vixen Ladies! Your energy is so very powerful and positive!!!!
    • Unsu...

Re: Shrinky-Dinks/how to get flat?

Tue, February 15, 2005 - 11:59 PM
      I am appalled to say, I have never done shrinky-dinks...Yes, it's true, I was deprived of this fundamental childhood experience.

I'm OK...I'm just going to get some real soon, that's for sure.

And about "poor man's shrinky dinks" - I read somewhere (thought it was here, could be wrong...) that you can use plastic that is labelled 6 in the little arrow-recycling-triangle-thingy. I have a few ready-made pie covers that say 6, and I noticed a blue mushroom tray I emptied the other day said 6 as well - there are no flat sections big enough to work with, but maybe I'll experiment with bumpy pieces. Not a lot of recyclables say 6, though, so I don't have much to try out right now, so I'm savin em up!

I know it, you crafty vixens will be checking your recycling, won't you? Squinting at that teeny lil mark on the bottoms...Good girls!

Oh, and I found these drawer organizers from rubbermaid, or the dollar store - they have edges so you can join the various sizes and shapes together to fit your drawers, y'know...well, they said 6 on them, too...go figure!

I'll try to find the original instructions for this, so I can give it to you from the mouth (or site) of someone who's actually done it. But right now, it's 3 am, so I should go to sleep.

Wed, June 10, 2009 - 12:49 PM
    When I do my shrinky dinks, I put parchment paper on the cookie sheet before I put the shrinkys on it and put it in the oven. When I take it out of the oven, I quickly lay another piece of parchment over it then put another cookie sheet ontop of that and with oven mittens on, I run my hands all over the top cookie sheet a few times to make sure that they "iron" out flat.

Fri, July 17, 2009 - 7:35 PM
    Usually when we do shrinky sinks (which is always LOL) I put down brown paper bags on the cookie sheet. I'd they curl it's because they weren't in long enough, but even if they're hard you can still put them back in for another minute or two and they'll flatten out! Good luck! Ps- I'm soo gonna try the doritos bag LOL

Recent topics in "Crafty Vixens"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Bisexual Single Dating Unsubscribed 0 October 8, 2014
meet rich and hot sugar mommy online Unsubscribed 0 September 25, 2014
#1 Dating Site For BBW and their admirers! Unsubscribed 0 September 17, 2014
meet local sexy hot women to date Bryant 0 August 28, 2014