Advertisement

Resin Crafters or Liquid acrylic casting

topic posted Mon, April 4, 2005 - 6:21 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
is there anyone here that does resin crafting?

thanks
t
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Do you know of a resin that is safe for drinking containers?
    • I've used enviro-tex resin for a few projects, and it is FUN! I would like to make some larger projects (like a covered coffee table!), but I wonder about yellowing with age. Any info? All I've done so far are some lovely bottle cap pendants, and the like. Coasters would be fun too.
      • i loooove casting resin. I've done a bookshelf and have been working on a coffee table (well, I've been looking at it after I started) for about 2 years :) The only thing I hate is how toxic it is! And the enviro-tex stuff is way too expensive on large projects.. I haven't noticed any yellowing after this long.. but ask me in 5 years! :) I just love the way it looks. I experimented with wax and this stuff not realizing it gets hot while you pore it on and melts the wax, so I'd say stay away from the wax-unless that's the look you're going for! I think you could pretty much do anything with this stuff.. but wear a mask :) have fun!
        • pour it on... :)
          • Has anyone used resin to create a nice super-shiney coat over paintings?
            Most laquar is natural resin and it's debatable as to apply a layer anyways, but I am simply not good enough yet for anyone to care if my work survives (for a long long time anyways). I asked a guy recently and he said he just pours a clear resin 50-50 over top. It would seem to me that it would crack, but I have never done this. I have done laquer before, but this made it look like a glass encasing. plus you could paint overtop that layer and get something really interesting. Than again I have never done any of this--tell me what you thinks!
            • I use Envirotex a lot and can say it's some of the best stuff out there. A friend uses it on her paintings and to coat skateboards that she does paintings on. I use it mainly for tables that I've built. I've got a few that are 10+ years and no signs of yellowing at all.
  • I haven't done any yet, but I have it in mind to start. The local craft store that carried it went out of business, so I think either Michaels or maybe Dick Blick would be a good place to get some. I can get it at work (JoAnn's) as well, so I will see which is more cost effective. I want to make paper weights, have tons of ideas. My stepdad used to make them in high school, so he is going to give me some pointers when I get started.

I would love to see what others have made using this stuff....it has toxic fumes though, so please use precautions when using it. Proper ventilation and all that!
    Lynn

Recent topics in "Crafty Vixens"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
knitting paula 0 October 25, 2014
Bisexual Single Dating Unsubscribed 0 October 8, 2014
meet rich and hot sugar mommy online Unsubscribed 0 September 25, 2014
#1 Dating Site For BBW and their admirers! Unsubscribed 0 September 17, 2014